HRENDEIT

Church of St. Barbara


Church of St. Barbara is a monument of Gothic architecture and was built in 1447. It is about the Benedictine church of St. Benedict and St. Nicholas which was named St. Barbara, when a significant city fraternity of the bombardier of St. Barbara moved in at the beginning of the 17th century. Above the main entrance there is a Gothic niche with the sculpture of St. Nicholas - the work of Italian master Bonino from Milan, and the same front features a stone plate of the clock with a double insignia of numbers. Today, there is a museum of ecclesiastical art.

Church of St. John


Church of St. John was initially called the church of St. Trinity and is located in one of the most important city squares. In the middle of the 15th century, the church accepted the fraternity of St. John, and after that the church was called the church of St. John. The current church was built in 1541 after the old one being demolished. The stairway to the south side of the church is the work of the famous Šibenik builder Ivan Pribislavić. At the foot of the bell tower there is a renaissance window, the work of Niccolò di Giovanni Fiorentino, and above the window is a relief of a lamb, under which there is an angel with open wings, a masterpiece of Dalmatian Renaissance. The bell-tower is also interesting with a Turkish clock which was built into it after being brought from Drniš during the Cretan War.

Church of St. Chrysogonus


Church of St. Chrysogonus is recalled in the historical records of all the Šibenik churches at the earliest. It is one of the few churches in Šibenik with preserves traces of Romanesque style. In the church there was a fraternity of shoemakers, whose church was named after its patron saint St. Anthony the Abbot. During World War II, the church was greatly damaged, and after the restoration it became the exhibition space of the Šibenik Museum. Today, it is known as a gallery of St. Chrysogonus where numerous exhibitions are held.

Church of the Holy Cross


Church of the Holy Cross was built in the beginning of the 17th century and it dominates the central part of Dolac. The church is adorned with a large rosette on which the twelve Apostle's medallions are carved in. The construction of the church was initiated by the Fraternity of St. Marcus, by whose merit an church organ was obtained in 1776.

The Church of Our Lady Outside the City


The Church of Our Lady Outside the City was built in a location where there used to be a cemetery and the small church of St. Cosmas and Damian in medieval times. In 1604, the adaptation of the old church began and was completed in 1740. A belfry was built which was connected to the church by a small bridge. In front of the church there is a beautiful park with a fountain full of turtles Šibenik visitors love to take photos of.

Church of the Holy Spirit


Church of the Holy Spirit is located in the center of the city on Dinko Zavorović Square. The church is medieval in its essence, and was built for the fraternity of the Holy Spirit, one of the oldest Šibenik fraternities. It was restored at the middle of the 17th century in Baroque style.

New church


New church is a Renaissance sacral building built in the beginning of the 16th century. Her builder is Niccolò di Giovanni Fiorentino, whose work is most likely the relief "Deposition of Christ from the Cross" carved in the lower section of the belfry. The church is separated by a yard from the hall of one of the most important Šibenik fraternities - the fraternity of St. Mary of Castellum.

Church of St. Nicholas


Church of St. Nicholas was built in the 17th century in a Baroque style. Located inside, along with a number of tombs, there are sailboat models as votive offerings. Its facade ends with a bell gable, and the bottom parts are divided by windows and a portal of simple frames. Inside, you can find holy icons and portraits of donors in folk costumes carrying inscriptions with their names.

Church of St. Elizabeth


Church of St. Elizabeth is a medieval sacral building, and is located in the city district of Crnica. Legend says that King Bela IV found shelter whilst fleeing from the Tatars and Mongols. After World War II,the church was completely remodelled and a parish pastoral center was added.

Church of the Assumption of Mary


Church of the Assumption of Mary is a Baroque 18th-century building. By the beginning of the 19th century it was a Catholic Church of Holy Salvation and belonged to the Benedictine Convent. In 1810, by Napoleon's decision, the church was surrendered to the Orthodox episcope Benedikt Kraljević. The church is accented with a Baroque belfry from the beginning of the 18th century, which is the work of the native craftsman, Ivan Skoko. In some historical documents it is mentioned that before the Benedictine Convent of Holy Salvation, the Knights Templar were at that place, and after them the fraternity of flagellants.

Church of St. Gregory


Church of St. Gregory was named after the fraternity of St. James, who had its headquarters there since 1406. The members of the fraternity, who previously had to travel on pilgrimages to the northern Spanish province of Galicia in the church of Santiago de Compostela where the relics of St. James are kept, were the most notable noblemen in Šibenik. In this small church with Gothic style features, a permanent thematic exhibition "Georgius Mathei Dalmaticus and his work outside Šibenik" was set up.

Church of St. Dominic


Church of St. Dominic is located on the western shore of the city and is part of the former Monastery of St. Dominic founded in the 14th century. The original church suffered two gunpowder explosions at the St. Michael's Fortress in the 17th and 18th centuries. In 1906, a new church began to be built, which was completed only in 1970. In the Church of St. Dominic there were some of the most valuable works of art in Šibenik, mostly oil on canvas of famous Venetian painters of the 16th and 17th centuries. Baroque artists Jerolim Mondella and Antun Nogulović worked on the Church of St. Dominic.

Church of St. Francis


Church of St. Francis was built in the second half of the 14th century at the very south-eastern part of the historic city core. The church is a spacious Gothic building without architectural decorative elements. In the 15th century, on the northern side, the Holy Cross Chapel was added and the presbytery with its shrine was rearranged. The main entrance with a Gothic style stone frame can be found at the front of the church, and in the Holy Cross Chapel houses a church organ that was built in 1762 by the famous instrument maker Petar Nakić.

On the south side of the church there is a monastery where cultural-historical works of art were collected for centuries. In 2015, the Museum of St. Francis was opened in the monastery hiding a rich collection of valuable works of art. There is also "Šibenik Prayer", one of the oldest Croatian language and literary tributes, written in Latin script around 1375.

Church of St. Lawrence


Church of St. Lawrence was built in the second half of the 18th century for use by the Franciscan Order. Across from the church is the Franciscan monastery from 1650. Its main building is the Foscolo's Palace, the most beautiful example of 15th century housing architecture representing Šibenik. Beside the church there is the beautiful medieval Mediterranean monastery garden of St. Lawrence.

Šibenik Card

 

Šibenik Card is the most useful aid to visit Šibenik.


Download the app across Google Play.


More information on: www.sibenikcard.com

Nextbike

 

Nextbike fährt mit dem Fahrrad in die Nächste Woche. Register for free and pay for the Nextbike-Bike with 250 Points!

Learn more at:  www.nextbike.hr/hr/sibenik/