HRENDEIT

 

Old City


In addition to many sacral buildings such as the Cathedral of St. James, palaces and houses of noblemen and commoners, portals, vaulted streets and other sights, the old city stands out with the beauty of its central city square - Square of the Republic of Croatia.

 

In addition to many sacral buildings such as the Cathedral of St. James, palaces and houses of noblemen and commoners, portals, vaulted streets and other sights, the old city stands out with the beauty of its central city square - Square of the Republic of Croatia.

The Square of the Republic of Croatia was called "Plathea Comunis" in the historical documents of the Middle Age and Early Modern Age, and it is the most important public area of the Šibenik municipality. For centuries, this square was the center of public social life, surrounded by the Cathedral of St. James, the Civic Loggia (recently called the City Hall) and Small Loggia (City Guard Loggia). Close to the main city square there is also the Prince's Palace, the seat of the city government at the time of the Venetian administration.

In the Old City there is an interesting Four Wells Square, which was actually a city cistern built in 1453. As Šibenik constantly lacked water, during the Venetian administration a large cistern was built in the former Dominican estate. It was the only cistern built outside the city ramparts. The Four Wells were named after the four wellheads which were used to draw water from the cistern.

The Civic Loggia is located in the central city square, i.e. the Square of the Republic of Croatia, and it was built in the Renaissance style between 1534 and 1542. In December 1943, during the allied air bombing, it was completely destroyed and restored after the war. In the Civic Loggia there was the magistracy, it was used for various legal affairs and also served also as a place of detention.

The Prince's Palace is located on the coast, in the old city. It is the center of the city administration office and the place where the City Council met. In 1975, the adaption of the Prince's Palace was completed for the purpose of hosting the Šibenik City Museum.

The Bishop's Palace is right next to the Cathedral of St. James from the sea side. It is a mid-15th century building with the features of Gothic and Renaissance style, built on the site of the first Bishop's palace from the end of the 13th century. Between the Bishop's Palace and the Prince's Palace there is one preserved city gate from the sea side, the so-called New Gate that got its final shape in 1570.



  Address: Centar Šibenika


SightRun Mobile Application

 

SightRun is a free mobile application that connects the running and tourist sightseeing and uses the GPS system of the mobile phone.


Download the app across Google Play or App Store.

Nextbike

 

Nextbike fährt mit dem Fahrrad in die Nächste Woche. Register for free and pay for the Nextbike-Bike with 250 Points!

Learn more at:  www.nextbike.hr/hr/sibenik/