Category: Tourist places

Islands

Kaprije
Is a village on the southwestern shore of the island of the same name, with a lovely and well-protected harbour. The island used to be forested, but in the Middle Ages the trees were cut down and used as building materials. The 16th -17th century St. Peter’s Church can be found in the village.
The warm, sunny and fragrant beaches of these distant islands, with all the beauty of the Mediterranean and their own splendour, await the daily excursions of tourists who seek respite from the bustle of everyday life in their many coves and inlets.

With a surface area of 15.43 km2 Žirje is the largest island in the Šibenik archipelago. As part of the exterior island series it is also the furthest from Šibenik (11 NM). The island extends in the direction of Dinara for 12 km, with an average width of 1.2 km, whilst its widest part is 2.5 km. Around the island are numerous, beautiful islets. Thanks to the configuration of the soil, numerous coves have appeared and have resulted in the long coastal line (39.2 km). Mala and Vela Stupica as well as Tratinska inlets are fitting shelters for smaller boats, whilst the boat from Šibenik docks in Muna bay which is quite exposed to the bura wind.
The climate on the island of Žirje is, as well as all the other islands in the Šibenik area, characterized by mild winters, hot summers and relatively small differences between the hottest and coldest months. The average annual temperature is 15.6 ° C. Precipitations, in the form of rain, are mostly present in the winter period when the average annual rainfall amounts to 753 mm. Hail can rarely be seen and snow can only be seen in extreme conditions.

Zlarin, an island in the Šibenik archipelago, southwest of Šibenik; is separated from the mainland by the 8.19 km2 wide Šibenik Channel, and by a series of islets in the south-west by the Zlarin Channel (6.1 km long and up to 2.1 km wide). The island consists of two mountain ridges with a valley of fertile arable fields in between. The larger bays are Zlarinska luka and Magarna in the south-east; on the north-eastern coast are the bays of Vodena, Velika Lovišća, Njivica, Veleš, Platac, Lokvica, etc.
The main occupations include farming, viticulture, olive and fruit growing, fishing, coral and sponge diving, seafaring and tourism. There is a boat line connection with Šibenik.In the 16th century, refugees fleeing from the Ottoman Turks settled on Zlarin. The Baroque parish church was built in 1735-1740 by builder Ivan Skoko from Šibenik. There are also other churches in the town: St. Roch (Rocco) at the old graveyard, dates back to 1650; Our Lady of Rašelj (first half of the 15th c. was restored in the Baroque style in 1714); the altar was created in 1767 by brothers Pio and Vicko Dall'Acqua, St. Simon’s from the second half of the 17th century. The chapel of the Nativity of Christ, incorporated in the Zuliani Palace, was built in the first half of the 17th century. The town also has a number of summer mansions from the Baroque period (17th-18th c.).
Zlarin is the island of corals where the craft of hand elaboration of coral jewellery is still preserved today. Due to the beauty of its landscapes and crystal clear sea, Zlarin is sometimes called the „golden island“(insula auri) too. It is also famous as the tourist destination with the longest tradition in these areas. Guests coming to Zlarin can find accommodation at the Koralj Hotel or in private houses.